Ladder Golf® is played with 2 or more players or teams. Each player has 3 golf ball bolas. A bola is 2 golf balls attached by a nylon rope. The object of the game is to wrap your bolas around the steps of the ladder. The ladder consists of 3 steps, a top, middle and a bottom step.
Some of you may have landed on this page because you searched for the rules of Ladder Golf, yet you are NOT playing on the official Ladder Golf® Brand games. That's fine, we want everyone to have fun no matter what equipment you have. Plus it's good that you are playing with the official Ladder Golf rules! We just want to take a second to let you know the benefits of our quality games.
- Authentic & Original - We started Ladder Golf® in 2003 and have been family owned and operated ever since.
- Made from Hardwood - Our games WILL NOT fall apart or tip over.
- Simple Effective Design - We wanted to make the most fun, most playable, longest lasting game on the outdoor game market.
- Best Games on the Planet - We strive to make the absolute best games on the planet. Give us a try.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - If you are using a sub-par or cheap knock off - Buy our authentic Ladder Golf game and you will not be disappointed!
Playing the Game:
Prior to game play a line must be set 5 paces from the ladder. This is the called the toss line. The official toss line is 15 feet away but most players measure 5 paces from the game ladder to set the toss line. This allows for a closer toss line for children’s games. Ladder Golf is played in rounds, each round consists of all players tossing 3 bolas. A coin toss is used to decide which player or team will toss first. The first player must toss all 3 bolas before the next player is able to toss his or her bolas. Bolas can be tossed in anyway the player chooses, as long as they are tossed individually and can be bounced off the ground. The winner of the round earns the first toss in the next round. Games are played to an exact point total of 21. In order to win, a player must be the only one to score exactly 21 points after the completion of a round. If a player goes over the exact point total, that players points for that round do not count. For example: A player with 18 points needs 3 points to get the exact score of 21 in order to win. If that player has 5 points hanging on the ladder after all the players have tossed all strands, none of those points count and the player will enter the next round with 18 points again needing 3 points to win. In the case of a tie, the players that tie will play as many overtime rounds as needed until one player ends a complete round 2 points ahead of the other player. The 2 point rule only applies in overtime rounds. During regular play any player can win as long as that player is the only one to score an exact total of 21 points at the end of that round no matter how many points the other players have.
Etiquette of the Game:
Basic etiquette of Ladder Golf® states that contestants should make as many remarks, sounds or movements as possible during play in order to distract the opponent’s during play. Touching the player during tossing is never allowed. In the course of play no contestant is to walk to the ladder prior to completion of the current round of play.
After all teams have tossed all their bolas, scoring is determined by the bolas that are still hanging from the steps. Players can knock-off bolas during the course of the game, in fact knocking-off other players bolas is encouraged and a good way to play defensively. bolas that are knocked off during play do not count as points. Only bolas that are left hanging after all bolas are tossed are counted as points.
Points are determined by which step your bola wraps around. The top step is worth 3 points the middle step is worth 2 points and the bottom step is only worth 1 point. Players can score an optional bonus of 1 point by hanging all 3 bolas from the same step or by hanging a bola on all 3 (1-2-3) steps in one round. The highest amount of points available per player is 10. This is accomplished by hanging all 3 bolas on the top (3 point) step.
Four players can play Ladder Golf® by alternating play each round. Players simply alternate turns with teammates. Extra bolas can also be purchased so up to 4 players can play individually on the same ladder or a second ladder can be purchased for team play. With multiple ladders 2 players on opposite teams would be on one side and the other 2 opposing players would be at the other game ladder. One side would toss all bolas and the other team would toss them back. Same rules apply.
Glossary of Terms:
Bolas: A Bola consists of 2 golf balls attached together with a piece of nylon rope. Golf Balls are spaced 13” apart. Ladder: The ladder is the structure that consists of 3 steps each spaced 13 inches apart. Steps or Rungs: Each ladder has 3 steps. The top step is worth 3 points, the middle 2 and the bottom 1 point. Toss Line: The line that the players tosses from. Officially is set to 15 feet. For backyard games 5 paces works fine.
Ladder Golf Includes:
- 1 or 2 Game Ladder(s) Depending on which version of our game that you purchase
- 2 Sets of Bolas (Colors vary depending on the set that you purchase)
- 1 Carry bag
- 1 set of official rules
Ladder Golf® Assembly:
Your ladder needs to be assembled prior to playing. Begin by fastening the 2 uprights to the 2 bases with the supplied knobs. After both uprights are fastened to the bases insert the round steps. The top and bottom step are identical and the middle step is the one with threads on the ends. Once all the steps are inserted screw in the remaining 2 knobs into both ends of the middle step. Do not over tighten the knobs on the middle step or use any tools to tighten them. The clearances on your new Ladder Golf game are very tight at first. The holes drilled in the ladder are meant to be tight and it will become easier to assemble after the first few times you assemble and disassemble the game set.
Ladder Golf® Warnings
Before playing your new Ladder Golf game, please READ ALL warnings and rules. Your game will provide a lifetime of playability if used as intended and stored correctly. Remember to play safe, have fun and go for the ten point toss!
Safety Is Important In All Games:
- DO NOT swing the bolas unless tossing them at the ladder during normal game play. Injury to yourself or others may occur if bolas are used improperly.
- The bolas provided with your new Ladder Golf game are connected using special anchors that, under normal game play, will provide a lifetime of use. DO NOT pull excessively on the bolas (tug-of-war) as abuse of the bolas may cause the anchors to pull away from the ball.
- Do not attempt to wrap bolas around body parts. Parents, please supervise younger children during game play. Kids can do crazy things with the most innocent of toys.
- DO NOT stand on the steps of the ladder. They are designed for normal game play only. Any misuse of the ladder may result in injury or damage to the ladder.
Ladder Golf® Storage and Cleaning:Your new Ladder Golf game is made of premium products and designed to offer years of use. Though the wood has been sealed, we recommend that the ladder is not left out in the weather.
- Always use the carrying bag to store your Ladder Golf game. Sun and rain can damage the wood and plastic used to make the ladder.
- Never leave the bolas in the sun for extended periods. Excessive sunlight may deteriorate the nylon rope connecting the bolas.
- Keep your bolas dry. Water will let the nylon rope stretch, changing the design of the game. You can clean the bolas with a mild liquid soap and cold water. Let them dry completely before use.
Replacement parts can be purchased 24 hours a day at www.LadderGolf.com. Additional bolas and additional ladders can be purchased separately on our website.
Download or Print Instructions:Here is a list of instructions you can download and print:
Feel free to email us by clicking here, with questions, comments, tournament information or suggestions.
Warning: This is not a child’s toy. Recommended age 12 and up. Adult supervision is required for children playing this game. Please read the instructions carefully. Proper use of this game can avoid damage or injury.